Effectively Communicating Science

March 18, 2020

Two weeks ago, the USC Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) Mentorship Program invited Dr. Sarah Mojarad to speak on improving our online presence and creating a professional persona through social media! Because I am always on the lookout to improve my online profile and strengthen my network, I stopped by to see how I could extend my research and STEM expertise with my internet connections.

Although I do not publish or post many science-based communications currently, I would like to start doing so to curb misinformation and encourage public interest in the sciences. Especially with the current climate and pandemic paranoia, it’s more important than ever to share accurate and proven insight and combat false narratives.

Dr. Mojarad coached us on how to connect with our “in” networks – those that are also students and researchers in STEM, as well as our “out” networks – those that are in our more general audiences. By using less technical language and connecting difficult concepts to those present in daily life, we can better connect with the broader public and engage them.

While I don’t have a Twitter, I hope to post more of my own research and those of my peers through LinkedIn and Facebook. If you want to see what other scientists/physicians are sharing online, try searching the #scicomm hashtag on your social media platform!

Published on March 18th, 2020

Last updated on March 18th, 2020