DEN@Viterbi Enrollment Options
Admitted students have formally applied for admission and have been accepted to a graduate degree program. All coursework applied toward a Master of Science degree requires the prior approval of a degree-granting department usually in the form of a study plan. All departmental rules and regulations must be followed. Admitted students may be eligible for financial aid.
1. Review the steps for How to Apply and submit your Graduate Application to the university after reviewing your appropriate department instructions. Note: The application requirements for each department may vary - please be sure to check the department website or DEN@Viterbi Offerings page prior to applying.
Pursuing your program from outside of the United States?
All applicants interested in pursuing their graduate degree online must be approved by DEN@Viterbi to pursue their program from outside of the United States. Pre-approval is the first step and is outlined on the DEN@Viterbi: Outside of the U.S. page.
2. If you are admitted to the university, you will receive further instructions on next steps and how to register for classes.
3. Newly admitted off-campus students will need to create a DEN@Viterbi Profile to gain access to courses and specific support for off-campus students.
Pursuing Your Program Outside of the U.S.?
A student wishing to take course work for official USC credit, without having been formally admitted to a degree program, may be allowed to register as a Limited Status student. Qualified candidates for Limited Status enrollment must have an undergraduate degree in engineering or a closely related field (such as mathematics or science) from a regionally-accredited institution, with a cumulative minimum GPA of a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). They must also have the necessary background for the USC courses they wish to take. In addition, please note the following:
- Undergraduate degree in engineering, math, hard science or engineering-related field from a regionally-accredited institution with a cumulative minimum GPA of a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Must have the necessary background for the USC courses you wish to enroll
- Limited student enrollment is not a promise of future admission.
- A maximum of 12 units may be taken as a Limited Status graduate student and later applied for credit toward an advanced degree or graduate certificate.
- Limited students ARE officially enrolled at the University and pay full tuition.
- Limited students are not eligible for financial aid.
- Grades earned as a Limited Status student will be considered when applying for formal admission.
- Individuals who were previously denied admission to a USC engineering graduate degree program are not eligible to take courses as a Limited Status student.
How to Get Started as a Limited Student:
1. Create a DEN@Viterbi Profile
2. Once your profile has been approved, a computer-generated password and your 10-digit student ID will be sent to the e-mail address you provided when creating your profile. Please allow 3-5 business days for this process. You can change the password upon initial log-in.
A student who wishes to view a course for non-credit via DEN@Viterbi can enroll as an audit student. Audit students will receive class materials but do not complete homework or take examinations. A course taken for audit will not receive university credit and will not appear on the USC transcript or grade report. A course taken for audit will be assessed at the current tuition rate.
How to Get Started as an Audit Student:
1. Create a DEN@Viterbi profile. If you have been admitted to the university, select "Admitted." If you have not yet been admitted, select "Limited."
2. Check the schedule of classes for course availability and enroll in your classes. Select the Audit option.
3. For courses that require D-clearance, the faculty member has the right to decline your participation.
Published on July 13th, 2017
Last updated on August 18th, 2023