The MS in Civil Engineering (General Option) offers a broad education covering several specialty areas of Civil Engineering.
International Students: This program is eligible for the OPT STEM extension.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings, and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 28 units is required to earn the general MS in Civil Engineering degree
- A minimum of 20 units from the following four specialty areas with a maximum of 8 units from each area: Environmental Engineering and Water Resources, Construction and Transportation, Structural Engineering, and Geotechnical Engineering (a minimum of 3 units and a maximum of 6 units from each area)
- Additional courses (up to 8 units) may be selected from Civil Engineering courses or disciplines related to Civil Engineering with the consent of an advisor
- Two-thirds of the units must be taken at the 500-level or above
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation
Detailed Program Curriculum
List of All Courses
Schedule of Classes
The application deadline for Fall 2023 has been extended to February 15, 2023.
Visit our Ready to Apply page for more information.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in any engineering or engineering-related disciplines including but not limited to: Civil Engineering.
The following materials are required to be included with your online application:
- Transcripts: Upload Electronic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A mailed hard copy or official e-transcript is not required for admission to our programs.
- Submit an electronic copy of official transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents)
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is also uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
- Personal Statement : The personal statement should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
- GRE: General GRE test scores are not required for 2023
- Letters of Recommendation (2 Required): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
English Language Proficiency: In addition to application requirements above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. Please review USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
IMPORTANT: USC does not accept Duolingo and TOEFL Essentials test scores.
APPLY NOW - USC GRADUATE APPLICATION
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2022 - Summer 2023*|
|Fall 2021 - Summer 2022*|
|* Tuition is the same for on-campus and online students
ESTIMATED COST OF ATTENDANCE – 28 UNIT PROGRAM
MANDATORY STUDENT FEES - 2022/23
|Student Health Center Fee|
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course
|Health Insurance (U.S.-based health insurance is required, but it does not have to be through USC)|
Fall 2022: $805
Spring 2023: $1,468
Visit Tuition & Fees for more information
AISHWARYA SAMBASIVAN IYER
Tell us a little bit about yourself — where are you from; where did you study before coming to USC?
I’m from India — I was born in Mumbai but grew up in different cities. I traveled a lot owing to the nature of my dad’s job, so I grew up in a few underdeveloped areas. So as I was growing up, I thought I would like to build things for such areas. I wanted to develop better infrastructure, and that is something that was lacking in those areas back then. That’s what drove me to be an engineer.
During your time at USC, what were some of the notable classes, projects, or experiences you had?
Personally, I would say it was an overwhelming mix of emotions at first. Being away from home for the first time, coping with homesickness, adjusting to a new culture — it all turned out to be extremely good. I made a lot of good friends, I loved the subjects I was studying, the professors, and classes. Since most of my friends consisted of international students, I found a sense of community — professors were very supportive and understanding that English was not our first language and we had learned some different methodologies in our learning backgrounds. It all helped for a very smooth transition. Some memorable moments: all those nights at Leavey Library, working the graveyard shift until 7 a.m., finishing a project, going to the Trojan Grounds Starbucks at 3 a.m. There is one incident that definitely left an impression on me — I almost drowned while trying to learn how to surf at Venice Beach. That is something I’ll never forget!
What is a piece of advice you’d give to an incoming student?
Enjoy what you do. If you step back and just examine what you like, you’ll find what you truly want to do and what you can be successful at. Go out there and meet new people, make new friends, and make new connections. They are helpful and help you learn more about yourself and your passions.
- City of Los Angeles - Bureau of Engineering - Civil Engineering Associate
- Ketan Patel - Structural Engineer
- Shanghai Municipal Engineering Design and Research Institute - Bridge Engineer
- Southern California Gas Company - Technology Development Project Manager
Goldman Sachs & Co.; GotIT; Secretariat Advisors LLC.; UChicago Argonne, LLC.
This program is not available via DEN@Viterbi.
Please complete the following form for more information.