The MS degree in Applied Physics is directed toward students with interests in the engineering of physical systems for which acquisition and interpretation of information requires an understanding of underlying physical models, measurement techniques, and disruptive factors such as noise, turbulence, and spurious signals. Examples include RF electromagnetic or acoustic detection of objects or resources, photonic sources and detection, and design and modeling of aeronautical, mechanical, and biomedical components and systems.
Career opportunities for those who have completed the Master of Science in Applied Physics include aerospace, photonics, remote chemical and environmental sensing, and electromagnetic and mechanical systems engineering.
International Students: This program is eligible for the OPT STEM extension.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings, and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 28 units is required for the MS in Electrical Engineering (Applied Physics) degree
- Minimum number of units in Applied Physics course offerings: 20 units
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 is required for graduation.
Detailed Program Curriculum and RequirementsSchedule of Classes
Electrical Engineering - Applied Physics Final Deadline:
Fall 2023: April 1, 2023
|Spring 2023 ||September 15, 2022
|Fall 2023 ||December 15, 2022*
|* DEN@Viterbi (Online Delivery) Deadline Extension: An application extension for Fall 2023 is available for online DEN@Viterbi applicants who intend to pursue their entire degree program online and do not require a visa sponsorship. Please email email@example.com to request an application extension.
On-campus students who apply by published deadlines will be considered for scholarships if admitted.
Online DEN@Viterbi applicants can view the Master's Scholarships (DEN@Viterbi) page for scholarship opportunities.
Visit our Application Deadlines
page for more information.
- An undergraduate degree in engineering, math or hard science from a regionally-accredited university.
- Satisfactory cumulative undergraduate GPA (grade point average)
The following materials are required to be included with your online application:
- Transcripts: Upload Electronic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A mailed hard copy or official e-transcript is not required for admission to our programs.
- Submit an electronic copy of official transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents)
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is also uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
- Personal Statement : The personal statement should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
- GRE: General GRE test scores are not required for 2023
- Letters of Recommendation (Optional): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
English Language Proficiency: In addition to application requirements above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. Please review USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
IMPORTANT: USC does not accept Duolingo and TOEFL Essentials test scores.
APPLY NOW - USC GRADUATE APPLICATION
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2022 - Summer 2023*|
|Fall 2021 - Summer 2022*|
|* Tuition is the same for on-campus and online students
ESTIMATED COST OF ATTENDANCE – 28 UNIT PROGRAM
|Student Health Center Fee|
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course
|Health Insurance (U.S.-based health insurance is required, but it does not have to be through USC)|
Fall 2022: $805
Spring 2023: $1,468
Detailed Information on Tuition & Fees
This program is not available through DEN. For a full list of the 40+ engineering graduate programs available online, please visit Online DEN@Viterbi Offerings.
Please complete the following form for more information.