The Master of Science in Industrial and Systems Engineering/Master of Business Administration dual degree program is for students who want an extended graduate program with depth in both business and engineering.
Normally, earning two such degrees would require completing at least 84 units of courses and as many as 93 units, depending on the amount of coursework relevant to both programs. This special dual degree option requires 66 units to complete.
Students must apply separately to the Epstein ISE Department and the Marshall School of Business. Students must be admitted to both programs in order to pursue the dual degree option.
International Students: This program is eligible for the OPT STEM extension.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- The total number of combined units required for the entire program is 66.
- The total number of units required for the M.B.A. portion of this program is 48.
- Required GSBA courses include: all courses required in an M.B.A. core program and graduate business electives sufficient to bring the total units completed in the Marshall School of Business to at least 48.
- Dual degree students may not count courses taken outside the Marshall School of Business toward the 48 units.
- Required ISE courses include: ISE 514, ISE 515 and ISE electives from Systems Design, Information Systems, and Quantitative Methods areas of study.
- Possible ISE elective courses include: Systems Design Area - ISE 525, ISE 527, or SAE 541, Information Systems Area - ISE 580, ISE 582, or ISE 583, and Quantitative Methods Area - ISE 532, ISE 536, or ISE 538.
Detailed Program Curriculum and RequirementsSchedule of Classes
|Spring 2024 ||September 15, 2023
|Fall 2024 ||December 15, 2023*
|* DEN@Viterbi (Online Delivery) Deadline Extension: An application extension for Fall 2024 is available for online DEN@Viterbi applicants who intend to pursue their entire degree program online and do not require a visa sponsorship. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application extension.
On-campus students who apply by published deadlines will be considered for scholarships if admitted.
Online DEN@Viterbi applicants can view the Master's Scholarships (DEN@Viterbi) page for scholarship opportunities.
Visit our Ready to Apply
page for more information.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS(only for MSISE admission. For MBA admission criteria, visit the Marshall School of Business)
- Satisfactory cumulative undergraduate GPA (grade point average)
- Satisfactory performance in previous coursework related to the intended major.
- Students must apply separately to the Epstein ISE Department and the Marshall School of Business. Students must be admitted to both programs in order to pursue the dual degree option. These requirements are related to the ISE department admissions process only.
The following materials are required to be included with your online application:
- Transcripts: Upload Electronic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A mailed hard copy or official e-transcript is not required for admission to our programs.
- Submit an electronic copy of official transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents)
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is also uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
- Personal Statement: The personal statement should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
- GRE: General GRE test scores are not required for 2024
- Letters of Recommendation (3 Highly Recommended): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
English Language Proficiency: In addition to application requirements above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. Please review USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
IMPORTANT: USC does not accept Duolingo and TOEFL Essentials test scores.
APPLY NOW - USC GRADUATE APPLICATION
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2023 - Summer 2024*|
|Fall 2022 - Summer 2023*|
|* Tuition is the same for on-campus and online students
MANDATORY STUDENT FEES - 2022/23
|Student Health Center Fee|
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Student Programming Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Student Programming Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course
|Health Insurance (U.S.-based health insurance is required, but it does not have to be through USC)|
Fall 2023: $948
Spring 2024: $1,765
Visit Tuition & Fees for more information
This degree program is not available on DEN.
Please complete the following form for more information.