March 2023: This program is expected to undergo a revision regarding the required number of units for completion of the Masters degree. The proposed revision would change the required units from 30 to 28 units. Updates to the requirements will be posted here when available.
The MS Analytics is a full time 3 to 4 semester program that allows the students to gain knowledge and skills to solve real world problems in a successful career in Analytics and Data Science. It is designed for students trained in engineering disciplines or from other careers with interest in deepening their background in data science, statistics, and math. Basic knowledge of programming is needed to start transitioning into more advanced statistical and machine learning computational tools that are thoroughly covered in the program.
In the program the students learn the skills needed to succeed as data analysts and data scientists including the abilities to summarize and present complex data, to apply machine learning methods to predict the result of different complex scenarios and to convert the data into actionable insights. The program combines statistical and machine learning modeling to solve real problems in today’s data-driven world.
The students learn the skills needed to produce powerful analytics and reports to decision makers to take well informed decisions adding value to the organization. To accomplish these goals they receive an in-depth training in areas such as
- Data Management
- Data Mining
- Data Visualization
- Machine learning
- Decision Analysis
- Statistics for Data Science
During the program, they become proficient on a host of state-of-the-art software and programming tools for data processing and analytics including Python for machine learning, R, and SAS Visual Analytics. Once the students have completed the required courses they are able to select electives to further improve their skills in areas of their interest. These electives include (but are not limited to)
- Consulting in data analytics
- Analytics of financial data
- Natural language processing for text mining and recommendation systems
- Machine learning at scale (big data analytics)
The demand for analytics and data science is sharply increasing and more companies are in-need of these professionals (source shown below). Our graduates work across a wide range of data-driven organizations as focused data scientists in positions such as financial analysts, analytics consultants, analytics managers, and health care analysts, in industries such as Retail, Banking, Entertainment, Health care, Manufacturing, Government, Transportation, among others.
Source: The Best Jobs in America 2020
International Students: This program is eligible for the OPT STEM extension.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings and any other degree requirements are subject to change. For students starting the MS in Analytics in the Fall 2020 the new program is as follows.
- A minimum of 30 units is required for the MS in Analytics degree
- Required courses: 12 units
- Elective courses: 9 units
- MS Students may also choose to take as electives, courses from other USC Departments such as Computer Science, Data Science, or from other USC School.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 is required for graduation.
Detailed Program Curriculum and RequirementsSchedule of Classes
|Spring 2024 ||September 15, 2023
|Fall 2024 ||December 15, 2023*
|* DEN@Viterbi (Online Delivery) Deadline Extension: An application extension for Fall 2024 is available for online DEN@Viterbi applicants who intend to pursue their entire degree program online and do not require a visa sponsorship. Please email email@example.com to request an application extension.
On-campus students who apply by published deadlines will be considered for scholarships if admitted.
Online DEN@Viterbi applicants can view the Master's Scholarships (DEN@Viterbi) page for scholarship opportunities.
Visit our Ready to Apply
page for more information.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in any engineering or engineering-related disciplines. Students who have a bachelors degree in non-engineering disciplines are welcome to apply, including but not limited to: Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Business, Accounting, and Finance.
The following materials are required to be included with your online application:
- Transcripts: Upload Electronic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A mailed hard copy or official e-transcript is not required for admission to our programs.
- Submit an electronic copy of official transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents)
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is also uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
- Personal Statement: The personal statement should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
- GRE: General GRE test scores are not required for 2024
- Letters of Recommendation (optional): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
English Language Proficiency: In addition to the application requirements above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. Please review USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
IMPORTANT: USC does not accept Duolingo and TOEFL Essentials test scores.
APPLY NOW - USC GRADUATE APPLICATION
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2023 - Summer 2024*|
|Fall 2022 - Summer 2023*|
|* Tuition is the same for on-campus and online students
MANDATORY STUDENT FEES - 2023/24
|Student Health Center Fee|
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Student Programming Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Student Programming Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course
|Health Insurance (U.S.-based health insurance is required, but it does not have to be through USC)|
Fall 2023: $948
Spring 2024: $1,765
ESTIMATED COST OF ATTENDANCE - 28 UNIT PROGRAM
This downloadable Cost of Attendance document breaks down the tuition and fees by semester. Although the actual number of courses taken each semester may vary by student as can the amount of time taken to complete the program, it can be submitted to banks and scholarship institutions.
USC students may pay their tuition and fees online, via wire transfer or using a payment plan. Details can be found on the USC Student Financial Services Payment Options page. You can check your account balance through the On-line Academic Student Information System (OASIS). Log into OASIS through MyUSC.
USC also provides a Tuition Refund Insurance option that enables students to receive a 100% refund of term tuition and fees if they are are forced to withdraw for medical reasons.
Tell us about an exciting and unforgettable experience from your time so far at USC.
The most exciting and unforgettable experience I have a USC is that I was able to represent USC and led a project team to participate in Nemesis Student Research Competition 2021 and was awarded second place. It was so challenging yet exciting and I definitely learned a lot from the actual data science cases. My team was able to apply various analyses I learned from class to conduct customer segmentation and churn analysis for a telecommunication company.
What are some personal achievements or experiences you’d like to share?
During my time at USC, I also work part-time as a student data analyst for USC Information Technology Services. This opportunity definitely was a cornerstone in my career that enables me to develop the skills needed in my future career as a data aanlyst/scientist. I applied it through Viterbi's career website and all the staff and faculty care about every students' growth and career development. I definitely recommend future Viterbi students to keep an eye on the possible career opportunities at school.
What were the main reasons you chose to pursue this graduate program at USC?
After studying Business Administration as an undergraduate at USC, I learned about the relevance of analytics in nearly every aspect of business. I wanted to take the opportunity to develop essential quantitative skills to solve more complex and large-scale problems in finance. The MS in Analytics program offered the perfect balance between teaching fundamental theory and bringing analytical models to life through real-world applications.
What do you like most about living in Los Angeles?
The weather and the beaches are undoubtedly the best part about living in Los Angeles. It’seasy to forget how lucky we are to be studying in such a comfortable climate. Secondly, I like how connected Los Angeles is in terms of businesses and entertainment. It is difficult to get bored here!
What advice would you give future Viterbi students?
My advice to future Viterbi students is to always seek balance in life. Get involved in not only academic and professional extracurricular activities, but also in social sports teams. I am a strong believer that doing many unrelated things in life reduces the risk of burnout. USC is so much more than an academic institution - make it your goal to get involved in as many non-academic things as you can!
What were the main reasons you chose to pursue this graduate program at USC?
I originally wanted to get into a business analytics master program in the business school, but after taking a deep look at the curriculum here at Viterbi, I changed my mind because Viterbi offers rigorous training in data analytics and resources that business school simply can't provide. I chose the Analytic program at Viterbi because of the complete training on data interpretation and analytics, the job resources provided by Viterbi, the location, and lastly the friendly education environment here at USC.
Tell us about an exciting and unforgettable experience from your time at USC.
One of the most exciting moments I had was meeting my friends from the Viterbi Graduate Student Association. I worked as the ISE senator for a year and I absolutely enjoyed my time serving my community. We all worked together to bring a lot of memorable events to life such as the Viterbi Ball, the Period Project and the Social Entrepreneurship Workshop. We stuck together through the tough times like a family. I feel really lucky to get to know all these amazing people and become friends with them.
- AbleTo Inc. - Reporting Data Analyst
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Product Development Engineer
- Apple Inc. - Data Engineer
- Aviana Global Technologies, Inc. - Data Scientist
- Bairong Yunchuang Technology Co Ltd. - Data Analyst
- BlackRock, Inc. - Analyst
- Boston Consulting Group - Data Scientist
- Branded Research, Inc. - Data Analyst
- ConsultNet, LLC
- Discover Financial Services - Senior Data Scientist
- EY - Data Analytics Consultant
- Giblib - Data Analyst
- Huawei - Software Engineer In Test
- Illumina, Inc. - Data Science Intern
- KPMG China - Consultant Analyst
- McKinsey & Co. - Business Analyst
- Mercedes Benz Research and Development North America - Early Talent Software Development Rotational Program
- Meta Platforms, Inc.
- Nuna Inc. - Software Engineer
- Nyu Tandon School Of Engineering - Teaching Assistant for FIN 2203 Corporate Finance and Financial Markets
- Pinduoduo - Data Analyst
- Protiviti - Consultant
- Sensetime - Software Development Engineer
- ServiceNow - Machine Learning Engineer
- Sunvalleytek International, Inc.
- Tencent - Data Analytics
- TikTok - Software Development Engineer in Test
- Tripalink Corp. - Data Analyst
- University of Southern California
- U.S. Army - Operations Researcher / Systems Analyst
- Wayfair - Data Analyst
This degree is not available on DEN. For a full list of the 40+ engineering graduate programs available online, please visit Online DEN@Viterbi Offerings
Please complete the following form for more information.