- Program Overview
- Application Information
- Tuition & Fees
- DEN@Viterbi - Online Delivery
- Request Information
Analytics is a multidisciplinary field that relates the application of engineering approaches and methods to the analysis and management of engineering and enterprise processes based on data. Learning objectives of this program involve data collection, cleansing, fusing and curating, for the purpose of analyzing trends, discovering patterns and building decision models for well-reasoned decision support. Rigorous mathematical modeling and computational methods tools are at the heart of the program.
Graduates of this program will be prepared to convert data into meaningful information, embedded in decision support systems that can help organizations make important operational decisions and help set strategic direction and policy.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 30 units is required for the MS in Analytics degree
- Required courses (18 units):
DSO 529 – Advanced Regression Analysis
INF 551 – Foundations of Data Management
ISE 515 – Engineering Project Management
ISE 529 – Engineering Data Analytics
ISE 530 – Optimization Methods for Analytics
ISE 580 – Performance Modeling and Simulation
- Elective courses: 1 ISE elective and 1 INF or CSCI elective – 6 units
- Advisor-approved elective courses: 6 units
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 is required for graduation.
|Fall 2018 (scholarship consideration)||December 15|
|Fall 2018 (FINAL)||January 17, 2018*|
|*DEN@Viterbi Applicants: Please contact DEN@Viterbi.usc.edu to request an application extension for Fall 2018.|
- Application to this program is only available in the fall semester.
- An undergraduate degree in an engineering or related field, such as Computer Science, mathematics, physics or economics, as well as other majors fulfilling technical prerequisites listed on this page, from a regionally-accredited university.
- Prerequisites: 1 year of calculus, 1 semester of linear and matrix algebra, 1 semester of probability and statistics, 1 year of computer courses (such as programming and data structures)
- Recommended: Some business background helpful, but not required
- Satisfactory cumulative undergraduate GPA (grade point average)
- Satisfactory GRE test scores. All scores must be officially reported to the university directly by ETS.
- Satisfactory performance in previous coursework related to the intended major.
Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
GRE General Test: Satisfactory and valid test scores. Valid GRE scores must be dated within five years of the start of the intended application semester. The fall semester starts in August, and the spring semester starts in January. Official scores must be reported from ETS directly to USC using ETS school code 4852. A department code is not required.
Letters of Recommendation (Optional – Starting in Summer 2017 this will change to 3 Required): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
Statement of Purpose (Optional – Starting in Summer 2017 this will change to Required): The statement of purpose should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
English Language Proficiency: In addition to the general admission criteria listed above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination to be considered a candidate for admission. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. For more details on English Proficiency Criteria for the University of Southern California, please visit USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2017 - Summer 2018|
|Fall 2018 - Summer 2019|
TUITION & SAMPLE COURSE PLAN FOR 30 UNIT PROGRAM (Residential Students Only)
|Mandatory Fees (approximate)|
Fall 2017: $450
Spring 2018: $400
Fall 2017: $646
Spring 2018: $1,170
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course