- Program Overview
- Application Information
- Tuition & Fees
- DEN@Viterbi - Online Delivery
- Request Information
The MS in Systems Architecting and Engineering program is recommended to graduate engineers and engineering managers responsible for the conception and implementation of complex systems. Emphasis is on the creative process by which these systems are conceived, planned, designed, built, tested, certified, used, and retired.
Engineers with several years of work experience will learn tools and approaches for making decisions in the technical environment of today’s corporations and institutions. The architecting experience can be applied to industries in defense, space, aircraft, communications, navigation, sensor, computer software, computer hardware, and commercial systems and activities. Industrial relevance is maintained through regular meetings with industry contacts and industry experienced instructors.
The Master of Science in Systems Architecting and Engineering is an interdisciplinary program administered by the Department of Astronautical Engineering in cooperation with the departments of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Industrial and Systems Engineering, and the USC Marshall School of Business.
- Specialization Tracks are available in the following areas:
- Aerospace and Mechanical Systems
- Artificial Intelligence/Neural Networks
- Automation and Control Systems
- Communication & Signal Processing Systems
- Computer and Information Systems
- Engineering Management Systems
- Integrated Media Systems
- Manufacturing Systems
- Network-centric Systems
- Software Process Architecture
International Students: This program is eligible for the OPT STEM extension.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings, and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 30 units is required for the MS in Systems Architecting and Engineering degree
- Required courses: 15 units
- Technical management area elective course: 3 units
- General technical area elective course: 3 units
- Technical specialization area elective courses: 9 units
- Minimum number of units in the Viterbi School of Engineering: 24 units
- No more than 9 units at the 400-level may be counted toward the degree. Remaining units must be taken at the 500-level or above
- No more than 6 units of Special Topics courses (499 or 599) may be counted towards the degree
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 is required for graduation