Another Day in Paradise – Texas Edition

October 20, 2017

Good Morning and welcome to today’s edition of Another Day in Paradise.
It rained last night in LA. Weird.
Moving on. Last week I attended the Society of Petroleum Engineers Annual Technology Conference in San Antonio, Texas.
Firstly, I would like to thank my local SPE chapter and our sponsors for providing me partial funding to attend the conference. My attendance would not have been possible without this. #studentbudget
Secondly, what a great way to get some time away from the grind of classes! The first 8 weeks here have been hard to say the least. As a geology undergrad, I took some high level math, but it should come as no surprise to anyone that engineers have to learn even higher level math. I’ll admit that it was a surprise the first time I saw an entire page of math notes without a single number on it. I’m lucky that my #1 study pal here is Greek. He has been helping me brush up on my alphabet. 
In San Antonio, I was immediately reacquainted with the Texas heat and Texan’s corresponding love of Air Conditioning, good thing I brought a sweater.
At the Gonzales convention center, I was very impressed by the response of the professionals who were there to present their wares. My classmates were not there to buy or sell, but I was overwhelmed by the time and patience taken by these professionals to show us their small piece of the industry. I learned a lot and made some great contacts.
Probably the most impressive though was the student-alumni dinner that we attended on the first night of the conference. As one of the oldest and most prestigious Petroleum Engineering schools in the nation, I shouldn’t have been surprised by the numerous alumni introduced by Dr. Ershagi, our dean, who were leaders in their respective fields. It made me even more hopeful about my future prospects to see that these men and women had taken their education from USC and made a real impact in the industry.
Tune in next week, I have a lot of topics that need addressing such as how to eat on $10 per week and what to do if your bike gets a flat.
Cheers y’all,
Brett

Published on October 20th, 2017

Last updated on October 20th, 2017