Reimbursement Instructions for Travel Grant Recipients
If you have been selected to receive a grant for travel expenses to attend an event at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering, please read the following information carefully.
Travel grant awards are issued in the form of a reimbursement after the event. You are responsible for making all travel arrangements and submitting original or digital receipts, card statements, and boarding passes (if applicable) for reimbursement. The travel grant will reimburse you for approved travel expenses up to the amount specified in the award notification. Additionally, the University under no circumstances will reimburse any first-class, business class, or premium economy tickets. To be clear, the University will only approve and reimburse an economy class ticket.
Prepare Reimbursement Documents
In order to receive a reimbursement, please prepare the following documents:
- Travel Reimbursement Form (PDF)
- Travel Expense Report (PDF)
- Receipts of all travel transactions (must include the vendor name, service/goods rendered, total amount paid, and payment method)
- Boarding passes (if applicable) – can be a screenshot of mobile boarding pass, paper boarding pass or picture/scan of paper boarding pass; must match itinerary in receipt/flight confirmation
- Proof of purchase (credit card or bank statement) – charges must match the amount on receipts. If someone paid for any travel transactions on your behalf, please also submit written confirmation from the cardholder/purchaser that they will not be pursuing individual reimbursement from USC (can be a forwarded email from purchaser) and copy of cardholder/purchaser’s bank/card statement showing the exact charge amount.
International Visitors (Traveling from Mexico and Canada)
In addition to the documents listed above, please also submit the following:
- Copy of passport
- I-94 (OR copy of visa in passport)
All of these documents are required in order to process the reimbursement. Missing receipts and payment confirmations will result in a hold on travel reimbursements.
Submit Reimbursement Packet
You are responsible for making all travel arrangements and submitting original or digital receipts, card statements, and boarding passes (if applicable) to our office for reimbursement no later than 15 days after the event.
Paperwork may be submitted in person to OHE 106 or via email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line please input: "Graduate Travel Grant-(Your Name)"
You will receive a mailed check at the address indicated on the Travel Reimbursement Form two to three weeks after your reimbursement is processed. Failure to submit all required documents in a timely manner will cause a delay in processing. Prolonged delay in submitting materials will result in cancellation of the travel grant reimbursement offer.
If you have any questions regarding your travel grant, staff members will be available to answer any questions at the event or at 213-740-4488.
Published on October 22nd, 2018
Last updated on August 18th, 2023