This program aims to introduce BME graduate students to the mathematical and computational methods of biomedical data analysis and to demonstrate the application of these methods to selected domains of high importance for Biomedical Engineering (e.g. biomedical signal and system analysis, medical imaging, clinical diagnostics and treatment monitoring). In other words, our students will be able to use computational methods to extract new, valuable knowledge from measurements made in hospital and laboratory settings. The general philosophy of this program is that Data Analytics will be a key factor in the development of the “new medicine” in the 21 century. Graduates will have a firm knowledge of not only the “know how,” but also the “know why” of Data Analytics in BME.
International Students: This program is eligible for the OPT STEM extension.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 28 units is required for the MS in Biomedical Engineering (Biomedical Data Analytics) degree
- Required Courses: 20 units
- Elective Courses: 8 units
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation
Detailed Program Curriculum and Requirements Schedule of Classes
|Spring 2023 ||September 15, 2022
|Fall 2023 ||December 15, 2022*
|* DEN@Viterbi (Online Delivery) Deadline Extension: An application extension for Fall 2023 is available for online DEN@Viterbi applicants who intend to pursue their entire degree program online and do not require a visa sponsorship. Please email email@example.com to request an application extension.
On-campus students who apply by published deadlines will be considered for scholarships if admitted.
Online DEN@Viterbi applicants can view the Master's Scholarships (DEN@Viterbi) page for scholarship opportunities.
Visit our Ready to Apply page for more information.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in any engineering or engineering-related disciplines including but not limited to: Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Physics.
The following materials are required to be included with your online application:
- Transcripts: Upload Electronic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A mailed hard copy or official e-transcript is not required for admission to our programs.
- Submit an electronic copy of official transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents)
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is also uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
- Personal Statement : The personal statement should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
- GRE: General GRE test scores are not required for 2023
- Letters of Recommendation (3 Required): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
English Language Proficiency: In addition to application requirements above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. Please review USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
IMPORTANT: USC does not accept Duolingo and TOEFL Essentials test scores.
APPLY NOW - USC GRADUATE APPLICATION
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2022 - Summer 2023*|
|Fall 2021 - Summer 2022*|
|* Tuition is the same for on-campus and online students
MANDATORY STUDENT FEES - 2022/23
|Student Health Center Fee|
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course
|Health Insurance (U.S.-based health insurance is required, but it does not have to be through USC)|
Fall 2022: $805
Spring 2023: $1,468
Visit Tuition & Fees for more information
What were the main reasons you chose to pursue this graduate program at USC?
After doing under graduation in Mechatronics Engineering, I was determined to contribute my knowledge into the Healthcare Industry. Being a curious mind, I researched all top universities in the US and the number of graduate programs each of them were offering. Out of 15 colleges, USC was the only one to hold so many diversified courses. It is the only university in the US to offer my major Biomedical Data Analytics.
Tell us about an exciting and unforgettable experience from your time so far at USC.
I am just about to complete my first year of the graduate program. Undoubtedly, it was one of the best yet challenging year of my life. Coming from a small town almost across the globe, just to follow my passion. Its sounds so good but trust me its way more challenging. In the past year, I have worked on 6 different projects of research and innovation. The thrill to learn something new and the zest to always succeed helped me to grow as a person. Exploring and working for labs was surely an unforgettable experience at USC.
Which organizations/activities have you been involved with outside of the classroom?
Outside the classroom, I attend all the events of Women in Engineering clubs which helps me unwind. I am also a Mentor for incoming students who needs assistance.
Want to find out where our graduating class of 2020/2021 Biomedical Engineering Master's students did their internships and where they went after commencement? Visit our Biomedical Engineering Employment Outcomes page.
This program is not available via DEN@Viterbi.
Please complete the following form for more information.