- Program Overview
- Application Information
- Tuition & Fees
- DEN@Viterbi - Online Delivery
- Request Information
This degree is awarded in conformity with the general requirements of the Viterbi School of Engineering. Students may elect to work for this degree in either the Materials Science or Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering departments.
The specific courses that constitute an acceptable program must be approved in advance by the administering department.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 27 units is required for the general MS in Materials Science degree
- Core Curriculum Courses: 21 units (must be approved by department)
- Elective Courses: 6 units (electives may be selected only from Materials Science, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Geological Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering; electives not from Materials Science must be approved by the Program Director)
- At least 21 units in Materials Science or in approved electives at the 500 level or higher
- A maximum of 5 units of Directed Research (MS 590) may be taken
- All Students in their first year are required to attend and all Masters degree students are expected to attend the (usually) weekly Material Science Program seminars. Students may received one unit of credit for attending by registering for MASC 598, but only one unit will apply to a Materials Science degree
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation
|Fall 2019 (Scholarship Consideration Deadline)||December 15, 2018|
|Fall 2019 (Final Deadline)||January 15, 2019*|
|Spring 2019 (Scholarship Consideration Deadline)||August 31, 2018|
|Spring 2019 (Final Deadline)||September 15, 2018|
|*Applicants Interested in Online Delivery: Please contact DEN@Viterbi.usc.edu to request an application extension for Fall 2018.|
- An undergraduate degree in engineering, math or hard science from a regionally-accredited university.
- Satisfactory cumulative undergraduate GPA (grade point average)
- Satisfactory GRE test scores. All scores must be officially reported to the university directly by ETS.
- Satisfactory performance in previous coursework related to the intended major.
Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
GRE General Test: Satisfactory and valid test scores. Valid GRE scores must be dated within five years of the start of the intended application semester. The fall semester starts in August, and the spring semester starts in January. Official scores must be reported from ETS directly to USC using ETS school code 4852. A department code is not required.
Statement of Purpose (Required): The statement of purpose should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
Letters of Recommendation (3 Required): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
English Language Proficiency: In addition to the general admission criteria listed above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination to be considered a candidate for admission. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. For more details on English Proficiency Criteria for the University of Southern California, please visit USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2016 - Summer 2017|
|Fall 2017 - Summer 2018|
TUITION & SAMPLE COURSE PLAN FOR 27 UNIT PROGRAM (Residential Students Only)
|Mandatory Fees (approximate)|
Fall 2017: $450
Spring 2018: $400
Fall 2017: $646
Spring 2018: $1,170
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course