- Program Overview
- Application Information
- Tuition & Fees
- Career Outcomes
- DEN@Viterbi - Online Delivery
- Request Information
Students with an interest in the characterization, selection and processing of engineering materials, and in materials problems related to engineering design may work toward a MS in Materials Science.
This degree is awarded in conformity with the general requirements of the Viterbi School of Engineering. Students may elect to work for this degree in either the Materials Science or Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering departments.
The specific courses that constitute an acceptable program must be approved in advance by the administering department.
International Students: This program is eligible for the OPT STEM extension.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 27 units is required for the general MS in Materials Science degree
- Core Curriculum Courses: 21 units (must be approved by department)
- Elective Courses: 6 units (electives may be selected only from Materials Science, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Geological Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering; electives not from Materials Science must be approved by the Program Director)
- At least 21 units in Materials Science or in approved electives at the 500 level or higher
- A maximum of 4 units of Directed Research (MS 590) may be taken
- All Students in their first year are required to attend and all Masters degree students are expected to attend the (usually) weekly Material Science Program seminars. Students may received one unit of credit for attending by registering for MASC 598, but only one unit will apply to a Materials Science degree
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation