- Program Overview
- Application Information
- Tuition & Fees
- Request Information
- DEN@Viterbi - Online Delivery
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings, and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 32 units is required for the MS in Computer Science – Multimedia and Creative Technologies degree
- Required Courses: 12 units
- Multimedia and Creative Technologies Elective Courses: 13-16 units
- Elective Courses: 4-7 units
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation
- A maximum of 4 units may be taken from approved 400-level courses in either Electrical Engineering or Computer Science; the remaining units must be approved courses at the 500 or 600 level
- Only one doctoral (600-level) course can be counted in the degree
- Only one non-CS course can be counted in the degree
|Fall 2019 (Scholarship Consideration Deadline)||December 15, 2018|
|Fall 2019 (Final Deadline)||January 15, 2019*|
|Spring 2019 (Scholarship Consideration Deadline)||August 31, 2018|
|Spring 2019 (Final Deadline)||September 15, 2018|
|*Applicants Interested in Online Delivery: Please contact DEN@Viterbi.usc.edu to request an application extension for Fall 2018.|
- An undergraduate degree in engineering, math or hard science from a regionally-accredited university.
- Applicants whose background is not in computer science may consider the MS in Computer Science (Scientists and Engineers).
- Satisfactory cumulative undergraduate GPA (grade point average)
- Satisfactory GRE test scores. All scores must be officially reported to the university directly by ETS.
- Substantial background in computing constitutes a minimum requirement.
Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
GRE General Test: Satisfactory and valid test scores. Valid GRE scores must be dated within five years of the start of the intended application semester. The fall semester starts in August, and the spring semester starts in January. Official scores must be reported from ETS directly to USC using ETS school code 4852. A department code is not required.
Statement of Purpose (Optional): The statement of purpose should succinctly describe your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
Letters of Recommendation (Optional): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
English Language Proficiency: In addition to the general admission criteria listed above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination to be considered a candidate for admission. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. For more details on English Proficiency Criteria for the University of Southern California, please visit USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2016 - Summer 2017|
|Fall 2017 - Summer 2018|
TUITION & SAMPLE COURSE PLAN FOR 32 UNIT PROGRAM (Residential Students Only)
|Mandatory Fees (approximate)|
Fall 2017: $450
Spring 2018: $400
Fall 2017: $646
Spring 2018: $1,170
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course