This graduate certificate program teaches students advanced techniques in data science, including building scalable data systems, core algorithms in machine learning, and practical approaches to mining diverse kinds of data. This degree is designed for students who have some formal computer science education in addition to strong math and science skills.
Students who complete this certificate will be able to pursue professional careers in data science. They will be eligible to be considered for admission to the following MS programs in Data Science: Applied Data Science, Communications Data Science, Spatial Data Science, Healthcare Data Science, Public Policy Data Science, and Environmental Data Science.
International Students: This program is not eligible for the OPT STEM extension.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings, and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A total of 16 units is required to earn the Graduate Certificate in Applied Data Science.
- 3 Required Courses: 12 Units
- DSCI 551 Foundations of Data Management
- DSCI 552 Machine Learning for Data Science
- DSCI 553 Foundations of Applications of Data Mining
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation
Students who complete the certificate are eligible to be considered for admission to the following MS programs in data science: Applied Data Science, Communications Data Science, Spatial Data Science, Healthcare Data Science, Public Policy Data Science, and Environmental Data Science.
Detailed Program Curriculum and RequirementsSchedule of Classes
|Spring 2024 ||September 15, 2023
|Fall 2024 ||December 15, 2023*
Visit our Application Deadlines page
for more information.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution which demonstrates sufficient quantitative and math courses in order to be successful in the program.
The following materials are required to be included with your online application:
- Transcripts: Upload Electronic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A mailed hard copy or official e-transcript is not required for admission to our programs.
- Submit an electronic copy of official transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents)
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is also uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
- Personal Statement: The personal statement should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
- Letters of Recommendation (Optional): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
English Language Proficiency: In addition to application requirements above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. Please review USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
IMPORTANT: USC does not accept Duolingo and TOEFL Essentials test scores.
APPLY NOW - USC GRADUATE APPLICATION
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2023 - Summer 2024*|
|Fall 2022 - Summer 2023*|
|* Tuition is the same for on-campus and online students
Detailed Information on Tuition & Fees
|Student Health Center Fee|
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Student Programming Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Student Programming Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course
|Health Insurance (U.S.-based health insurance is required, but it does not have to be through USC)|
Fall 2023: $948
Spring 2024: $1,765
This certificate is not available on DEN.
Please complete the following form for more information.