The Graduate Certificate in Digital Oilfield Technologies is designed for practicing engineers and scientists who enter petroleum engineering related fields and/or who wish to obtain training in specific oilfield technologies related to digital oilfields.
Students who begin the certificate as Limited must apply and be Admitted to the program prior to enrolling in their fourth 3-unit course. A special Graduate Certificate is issued upon completion of the coursework.
- This program takes 1 year to complete
- This program is not eligible for the OPT STEM extension
- A thesis option is not available for this program
- Chat with a USC Viterbi Graduate Student Ambassador
- Visit our Profiles Page to learn more about our students and alumni
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings, and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 12 units is required to earn the Graduate Certificate in Petroleum Engineering (Digital Oilfield Technologies) degree
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation
- Some deficiency courses may be required
- Courses taken for the Graduate Certificate may be applied to the MS or PhD in Petroleum Engineering programs if the student is admitted into MS or PhD program
Detailed Program Curriculum and RequirementsSchedule of Classes
|Spring 2024 ||September 15, 2023
|Fall 2024 ||December 15, 2023*
|* DEN@Viterbi (Online Delivery) Deadline Extension: An application extension for Fall 2024 is available for online DEN@Viterbi applicants who intend to pursue their entire degree program online and do not require a visa sponsorship. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application extension.
On-campus students who apply by published deadlines will be considered for scholarships if admitted.
Online DEN@Viterbi applicants can view the Master's Scholarships (DEN@Viterbi) page for scholarship opportunities.
Visit our Application Deadlines page
for more information.
- An undergraduate degree in Petroleum Engineering (or other engineering, math, or hard science with assigned deficiencies) from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Deficiency Courses: Students admitted without a BS in Petroleum Engineering must complete the following prerequisite courses at USC: Introduction to Transport Processes in Porous Media (PTE 411x), Petroleum Reservoir Engineering (PTE 412x), Formation Evaluation (PTE 461), Petroleum Geology (PTE 466), and Computational Reservoir Modeling (PTE 500) before beginning the MS program. Units from these courses cannot be applied towards the degree. Other prerequisite courses may be assigned on a case-by-case basis upon consultation with the Department Advisor.
- Knowledge of basic calculus and differential equations is required
- Domain knowledge in Petroleum Engineering is required
- Satisfactory cumulative undergraduate GPA (grade point average)
- GRE: General GRE test scores are not required for 2024
- Satisfactory performance in previous coursework related to the intended major
The following materials are required to be included with your online application:
- Transcripts: Upload Electronic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A mailed hard copy or official e-transcript is not required for admission to our programs.
- Submit an electronic copy of official transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents)
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is also uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
- Personal Statement : The personal statement should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
- Letters of Recommendation (3 Required): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
English Language Proficiency: In addition to application requirements above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. Please review USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
IMPORTANT: USC does not accept Duolingo and TOEFL Essentials test scores.
APPLY NOW - USC GRADUATE APPLICATION
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2023 - Summer 2024*|
|Fall 2022 - Summer 2023*|
|* Tuition is the same for on-campus and online students
Detailed Information on Tuition & Fees
|Student Health Center Fee|
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Student Programming Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Student Programming Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course
|Health Insurance (U.S.-based health insurance is required, but it does not have to be through USC)|
Fall 2023: $948
Spring 2024: $1,765
Want to find out where our graduating class of 2019 Chemical & Petroleum Engineering & Materials Science Master's students did their internships and where they went after commencement? Visit our Chemical & Petroleum Engineering & Materials Science Employment Outcomes page.
This program is also available online to professional engineers through DEN@Viterbi. Because the DEN@Viterbi program provides a fully equivalent academic experience, the degree a USC engineering student earns is the same whether they are on-campus or online.
If you are interested in beginning classes as a DEN@Viterbi student next semester, explore the requirements and steps to enrolling as a Limited Status Student.
Learn More About DEN@Viterbi
Detailed Program Curriculum and RequirementsSchedule of Classes
DEN@VITERBI ONLINE COURSE OFFERINGS
The following courses and program requirements serve as program planning for DEN@Viterbi students. Course offerings and availability are subject to change. Please consult with advisor if you have any questions.
|All Courses Required - 12 units total.
|PTE 586 | Intelligent and Collaborative Oilfield Systems Characterization and Management (3 units)
|PTE 587 | Smart Completions, Oilfield Sensors and Sensor Technology (3 units)
|PTE 588 | Smart Oilfield Data Mining (3 units)
|PTE 589 | Advanced Oilfield Operations with Remote Immersive Visualization and Control (3 units)
|Students without a B.S. in Petroleum Engineering must complete deficiency courses at USC. Units from these deficiency courses cannot be applied towards the M.S. in Petroleum Engineering - Digital Oilfield Technology. If you have questions about deficiency courses please consult with your department advisor.
Please complete the following form for more information.