- Program Overview
- Application Information
- Tuition & Fees
- DEN@Viterbi - Online Delivery
- Request Information
Applicants for this graduate certificate should have a strong background in either electrical engineering and/or computer science. In this program, students will be expected to enhance their knowledge in one of the aforementioned areas along with taking the network centric systems architecting and engineering courses to gain a higher level of understanding of the field. With the approval of the Systems Architecting and Engineering director a wide variety of courses can be selected to meet the needs of the individual student.
With departmental approval, the courses taken for the certificate may be applied to the Master of Science in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Systems Architecting Engineering.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings, and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 15 units is required to earn the Graduate Certificate in Network Centric Systems
- 1 Required Courses: 3 Units
- 1 Required Emphasis Course (either electrical engineering or computer science): 3 Units
- 3 Required Elective Emphasis Courses (either electrical engineering or computer science): 9 Units
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 is required for graduation
- With the approval of the Systems and Architecting director, courses taken for this Graduate Certificate may be applied to the MS in Systems Architecting and Engineering if the student is admitted into that program
|Fall 2019 (Scholarship Consideration Deadline)||December 15, 2018|
|Fall 2019 (Final Deadline)||January 15, 2019*|
|Spring 2019 (Scholarship Consideration Deadline)||August 31, 2018|
|Spring 2019 (Final Deadline)||September 15, 2018|
|*Applicants Interested in Online Delivery: Please contact DEN@Viterbi.usc.edu to request an application extension for Fall 2018.|
- An undergraduate degree in engineering, math or hard science from a regionally-accredited university
- Satisfactory cumulative undergraduate GPA (grade point average).
- A minimum of three years of industrial experience is highly recommended prior to taking systems architecting, systems engineering, and design experience courses. This program is not recommended for bachelor’s degree graduates without industrial experience.
Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
Letters of Recommendation (Optional): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
Statement of Purpose (Optional): The statement of purpose should succinctly describe your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
English Language Proficiency: In addition to the general admission criteria listed above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination to be considered a candidate for admission. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. For more details on English Proficiency Criteria for the University of Southern California, please visit USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2017 - Summer 2018|
|Fall 2018 - Summer 2019|
|Mandatory Fees (approximate)|
Fall 2017: $450
Spring 2018: $400
Fall 2017: $646
Spring 2018: $1,170
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course