Network centric systems have evolved from the need to design increasingly complex systems that often require addressing emergent behavior. This graduate certificate was designed in response to industry demand for their practicing engineers. It provides them with the understanding and skills required to create and design complex innovative network centric systems in the aerospace and commercial fields.
Applicants for this graduate certificate should have a strong background in either electrical engineering and/or computer science. In this program, students will be expected to enhance their knowledge in one of the aforementioned areas along with taking the network centric systems architecting and engineering courses to gain a higher level of understanding of the field. With the approval of the Systems Architecting and Engineering director a wide variety of courses can be selected to meet the needs of the individual student.
With departmental approval, the courses taken for the certificate may be applied to the Master of Science in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Systems Architecting Engineering.
International Students: This program is not eligible for the OPT STEM extension.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings, and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 15 units is required to earn the Graduate Certificate in Network Centric Systems
- 1 Required Courses: 3 Units
- 1 Required Emphasis Course (either electrical engineering or computer science): 3 Units
- 3 Required Elective Emphasis Courses (either electrical engineering or computer science): 9 Units
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 is required for graduation
- With the approval of the Systems and Architecting director, courses taken for this Graduate Certificate may be applied to the MS in Systems Architecting and Engineering if the student is admitted into that program
Detailed Program Curriculum and RequirementsSchedule of Classes
|Spring 2024 ||September 15, 2023
|Fall 2024 ||December 15, 2023*
|* DEN@Viterbi (Online Delivery) Deadline Extension: An application extension for Fall 2024 is available for online DEN@Viterbi applicants who intend to pursue their entire degree program online and do not require a visa sponsorship. Please email email@example.com to request an application extension.
On-campus students who apply by published deadlines will be considered for scholarships if admitted.
Online DEN@Viterbi applicants can view the Master's Scholarships (DEN@Viterbi) page for scholarship opportunities.
Visit our Application Deadlines page for more information.
- An undergraduate degree in engineering, math or hard science from a regionally-accredited university
- Satisfactory cumulative undergraduate GPA (grade point average).
- A minimum of three years of industrial experience is highly recommended prior to taking systems architecting, systems engineering, and design experience courses. This program is not recommended for bachelor's degree graduates without industrial experience.
The following materials are required to be included with your online application:
- Transcripts: Upload Electronic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A mailed hard copy or official e-transcript is not required for admission to our programs.
- Submit an electronic copy of official transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents)
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is also uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
- Personal Statement: The personal statement should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
- Letters of Recommendation (Optional): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
English Language Proficiency: In addition to application requirements above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. Please review USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
IMPORTANT: USC does not accept Duolingo and TOEFL Essentials test scores.
APPLY NOW - USC GRADUATE APPLICATION
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2023 - Summer 2024*|
|Fall 2022 - Summer 2023*|
|* Tuition is the same for on-campus and online students
Detailed Information on Tuition & Fees
|Student Health Center Fee|
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Student Programming Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Student Programming Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course
|Health Insurance (U.S.-based health insurance is required, but it does not have to be through USC)|
Fall 2023: $948
Spring 2024: $1,765
This degree is not available on DEN. For a full list of the 40+ engineering graduate programs available online, please visit Online DEN@Viterbi Offerings
Please complete the following form for more information.