A Weekend Getaway at Big Bear!

Posted: February 18, 2017, 3:10pm

I finally got to hit the slopes for the first time this season! Last weekend, a group of us spent two nights around Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear to enjoy the incredible amount of snowfall we had this year due to the crazy rains. We rented an entire cabin through Airbnb with breathtaking views, a fully stocked kitchen, and plenty of comfortable nooks and beds to relax and sleep on. We cooked both nights we were there – pesto pasta, puff pastries, garlic bread, and cheesecake on the first, and chicken kabob, corn, mashed potatoes, and brownies on the second! We also made hearty breakfasts to fuel up for our skiing/snowboarding adventures.

On Saturday, we drove about half an hour to Snow Summit, one of the three main ski resorts in the Big Bear area. We had purchased our lift tickets through Costco prior to the trip, but we still had to stand in a long line to redeem them and get our rentals. Most of my friends have never skied or snowboarded before, so I decided to work on my snowboarding to stay with them. The beginners’ area was incredibly packed, but I think I managed to finally get a hang of having both of my feet being stuck on one piece of wood. I’ll probably spend a day snowboarding during my trip to Aspen next month! Maybe I’ll be able to sneak in a Mammoth weekend in March as well – we’ll see!!