The MS in Civil Engineering (Transportation Systems) is part of the Sustainable Infrastructure Systems program which prepares students for immediate and effective participation in the modern infrastructure workforce through a common core that includes smart-system design for sustainable infrastructures, the societal and regulatory context of infrastructure engineering decisions, and construction management.
International Students: This program is eligible for the OPT STEM extension.
Please Note: Requirements for graduation, course offerings, course availability, track offerings, and any other degree requirements are subject to change. Students should consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for any classes.
- A minimum of 27 units is required to earn the MS in Civil Engineering - Transportation Systems degree
- Required Courses: 17 units
- Electives: Three (3) courses (elective courses must be pre-approved by a department advisor)
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation
Detailed Program Curriculum and RequirementsSchedule of Classes
The application deadline for Fall 2023 has been extended to February 15, 2023.
|Spring 2023 ||September 15, 2022
|Fall 2023 ||December 15, 2022*
|* DEN@Viterbi (Online Delivery) Deadline Extension: An application extension for Fall 2023 is available for online DEN@Viterbi applicants who intend to pursue their entire degree program online and do not require a visa sponsorship. Please email email@example.com to request an application extension.
On-campus students who apply by published deadlines will be considered for scholarships if admitted.
Online DEN@Viterbi applicants can view the Master's Scholarships (DEN@Viterbi) page for scholarship opportunities.
Visit our Ready to Apply
page for more information.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in any engineering or engineering-related disciplines including but not limited to: Traffic & Transportation Engineering and Civil Engineering.
The following materials are required to be included with your online application:
- Transcripts: Upload Electronic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A mailed hard copy or official e-transcript is not required for admission to our programs.
- Submit an electronic copy of official transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents)
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is also uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
- Personal Statement : The personal statement should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at the Viterbi School of Engineering, your preparation for this field of study, study interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study.
- GRE: General GRE test scores are not required for 2023
- Letters of Recommendation (2 Required): Letters of recommendation should be from faculty or others (supervisors, professional colleagues, etc.) qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
English Language Proficiency: In addition to application requirements above, international students whose first language is not English are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. There is no minimum TOEFL or IELTS score required for admission to the Viterbi School. For possible exemption from additional language requirements, you must achieve an Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) score of 90, with no less than 20 on each section or an IELTS score of 6.5, with no less than 6 on each band score. Please review USC Graduate Admission – Proficiency in English.
IMPORTANT: USC does not accept Duolingo and TOEFL Essentials test scores.
APPLY NOW - USC GRADUATE APPLICATION
The following is an overview of the tuition & fees for graduate engineering students. Both on-campus and DEN@Viterbi students pay the same tuition.
Per Unit Rate
|Fall 2022 - Summer 2023*|
|Fall 2021 - Summer 2022*|
|* Tuition is the same for on-campus and online students
ESTIMATED COST OF ATTENDANCE – 27 UNIT PROGRAM
MANDATORY STUDENT FEES - 2022/23
|Student Health Center Fee|
|Norman Topping Student Aid Fee|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (On-Campus students)|
|ENGR Computing Access Fee (DEN@Viterbi students)|
$40 - $100 per course
|Health Insurance (U.S.-based health insurance is required, but it does not have to be through USC)|
Fall 2022: $805
Spring 2023: $1,468
Visit Tuition & Fees for more information
Want to find out where our graduating class of 2020/2021 Civil and Environmental Engineering Master's students did their internships and where they went after commencement? Visit our Civil and Environmental Engineering Employment Outcomes page.
This program is not available via DEN@Viterbi.
Please complete the following form for more information.